Since I mentioned Spam yesterday, I thought I’d talk about my mother’s fried rice. She always make it with Spam, cubed and fried to a crisp brown. While I love it, the rice is not so carb friendly. Instead, I add more vegetables and enjoy the same flavors without the carbs.
When I started this journey last week, I found that I can still feel satisfied without the carbs.
ZUCCHINI RICE – Prepare separately.
- Grate 1 zucchini and add to a saucepan with 1 T. Butter, salt, and pepper.
- Let cook 4-5 minutes.
SPAM STIR FRY (or chicken, or beef, or pork, or kielbasa, or tofu, or meatless…)
- 1 can of Spam, cubed (or any protein. I just love Spam for it’s bacon like saltiness)
- Sesame Seed Oil
- Frozen stir fry vegetables or fresh cut vegetables like onions, bell pepper, snap peas, water chestnuts, cabbage, carrots, green beans, snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, …
- Soy Sauce
- 1 egg
- Sesame Seeds
- Fry Spam in a hot wok until crisp.
- Prepare the grated zucchini rice.
- Add about 1 T. of Sesame Oil and heat.
- Add vegetables. If you’re cutting fresh vegetables, you will need to cook them a little longer than frozen vegetables.
- Add salt to taste, pepper, and soy sauce (about 2 T.),
- Add scrambled egg and garlic to pan.
- Finish cooking and add to the top of the shredded zucchini.